This is Simon Bishop’s 1907 Singer four seater 12-14 HP.
In 1907 Singer offered a new range of four wheeled cars the smallest being a 7HP 2 cylinder two seater powered by a White & Poppe engine also a 12-14 HP four seater four cylinder also powered by a White & Poppe power unit. They also offered a 15 HP and a 20-22 HP both powered by Aster engines .
The car you see here is an example of a 1907 12-14 HP White & Poppe engine car. White & Poppe were proprietary engine manufacturers who supplied to may car manufacturers in the early part of the century including Dennis, who eventually took over the company. With the exception of the engine the remainder of the car is of Singer design with the gate change gearbox giving three forward speeds plus reverse driving through a leather and metal cone clutch via a propeller shaft to a substantial rear axle. Brakes are internal expanding in the rear axle with the addition of a transmission brake.
The car was discovered by a Singer agent Nicholls and Sons Ltd Bedford in 1938 in a cart shed, the agent thought it would be a good idea to use it for promotional purposes to advertise the Singer name. With this in mind it made an appearance at the Singer Motor Car Club rally in Leamington Spar in June 1939. At the outbreak of the second world war Nicholls stored the car in the paint shop which was warm and dry. After the war the car was again used for promotional events and in the 1950’s acquired by C.B. North of Northwood Motors (Hull) Ltd who were also Singer agents. The car stayed with the North family until recently when acquired by the present owner.